Friday, July 1, 2011

Dumbest Use of Steroids

As far as I am concerned, any player who used steroids or other performance-enhancing drugs would be ignored when it comes to Hall of Fame balloting. But at least I can understand why players would have used them. After all, they were competing against others who did, and athletes are always looking for an edge.

But for the life of me I can't wrap my mind around the idea of an actor using steroids for a movie about baseball. In case you missed, that's the claim made by Charlie Sheen about his starring role in "Major League." It's debatable whether anything that spills from Sheen's mouth should be believed, but it is an incredible statement.

Maybe Sheen didn't realize that Hollywood is in the business of make-believe. After all, he has had problems separating fiction from reality of late.

He says he used steroids to get some extra juice on his fastball (which supposedly went from 79 mph to 85 mph). He says he did for "ego." That part is believable. It makes me wonder if the other actors felt the same pressure. Probably not. I'm guessing they read the script and realized they weren't going to hit him when it mattered most.

In the end, like real players, Sheen says the drugs led to arm problems. Good thing for the producers he was able to come back for "Major League II." At least there won't be a debate whether Sheen cheated. I'd hate to see the Cleveland Indians' Series win vacated.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ESPN.com - MLB