Thursday, April 28, 2011

Apologies to Yogi

In a post earlier this week I wrote about Hack Wilson, the player I chose as the greatest short player ever. Well, it seems I missed a pretty good candidate: Yogi Berra. At 5-foot-7, Yogi is just an inch taller than Wilson.

Yogi's career was much longer and when he retired he was probably the greatest hitting catcher of all time. And then there is Yogi's status as a national icon. He is known for the twisted language of his sayings ("When you come to the fork in the road, take it") and there's a cartoon character, Yogi Bear, whose name is suspiciously  close to the ballplayer's, although Hanna-Barbera always denied a connection. And he even starred in an Aflac commercial.

How I could have forgot about Yogi, and while living in Yankee territory no less, is impossible to explain. My apologies to Mr. Berra.

If anyone knows of other short players who should be considered, post a comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ESPN.com - MLB